WA12 MKII Black
WA12 MKII Black
- Getting Started
A lot of preamps on the market do a good job of raising the volume of microphones and instruments, but many pres today are doing only that: raising the volume. These “super clean” designs often leave the signal exiting the preamp sounding much the same as it did entering it, which ends up requiring a lot of work in post-production to get instruments to wake up and sound big in a mix.
If you’re looking for a preamp to actually improve and shape your signal instead, you will most definitely love the WA12 MKII Black. This preamp is designed to transform the tone of plain instruments and vocals into exciting sounds that can stand on their own - so if your mixes lack depth, struggle to sound alive, or are just missing that professional touch you’ve always wanted, the the WA12 MKII Black is the affordable answer.
- Single channel microphone preamplifier
- Custom USA CineMag transformers
- 71dB of gain
- Fully discrete signal path
- Discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp
- Variable impedance input
Packed With Performance
The WA12 MKII Black is a completely discrete, high voltage, dual-transformer microphone preamplifier design with high gain (+71dB), high headroom, low noise, and exciting sonic performance – which makes it an ideal choice for all types of recording applications. A high-quality mic preamp is one of the most critical pieces needed to achieve that elusive ‘larger than life’ sound, and the WA12 MKII Black delivers on that promise every single time.
The WA12 MKII Black is based around the X731 discrete op-amp, which is a reproduction of the classic Melcor 1731 - considered by some to be the warmer predecessor to the modern 2520-style op-amp. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean and lifelike tones, but it can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. While the effects of that saturation can range from subtle to obvious, they always remain very pleasing to the ear, and because it was designed around the X731 the WA12 MKII Black can accept any discrete op-amp on the market that conforms to the +/-16v, 2520 pinout standard.
- Utilises premium-grade input and output transformers from CineMag USA
- Fully discrete design with a robust 71db of gain
- Utilises a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731-style opamp, which can be swapped with other designs that conform to the 6-pin, 2520 footprint +/- 16vdc standard for varying tone and flavour
- 20db pad
- Tone button - switches the input impedance from 150 to 600 ohms and changes the tone of both the mic and hi-z inputs
- Mic level balanced input: XLR
- 2 megohm true hi-z input on the front panel which sends the signal through the entire circuit, including both CineMag transformers and the x731 opamp - great for guitars, bass, keys, keyboards and any instrument with a 1/4” output jack
- Balanced outputs: XLR and 1/4″/TRS
- 48 volt phantom power
- Led meter gain indication
- Output attenuation control (positioned after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation
- Switchable 115/230 volt IEC power inlet